ONGC Videsh announces new discovery in Colombia

ONGC Videsh holds 70% participating interest (PI) in the block along with operatorship, the remaining 30% is held by partner Geopark.

ONGC Videsh announces new discovery in Colombia
ONGC Videsh announces new discovery in Colombia

New Delhi: ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL), the wholly-owned subsidiary and overseas arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC), the National Oil Company of India, has made an oil discovery in the recently drilled well, Urraca-IX, in CPO-5 block, Llanos Basin, Colombia. Well, Urraca-1X was spudded on 20th April 2022 and drilled to a target depth (TD) of 10956 ft., encountering 17 ft thick oil-bearing sands at a depth from 10201ft -10218 ft.

During initial testing with an Electrical Submersible Pump (ESP), fluid flowed at approx. 600 bbl./day with around 40-50% W/C and oil of 16oAPI.

Oil discovery in the Lower Mirador play in this well opens up new areas for further exploration in the northern part of the block.

ONGC Videsh has earlier discovered commercial oil in the Lower Sand pay in Mariposa and Indico fields in the block in 2017 and 2018 respectively, which are currently commercially producing at 20,000 bbl oil per day.

Block CPO-5 was awarded to ONGC Videsh Limited in the 2008 bid round of Colombia. ONGC Videsh holds 70% participating interest (PI) in the block along with operatorship, the remaining 30% is held by partner Geopark. ONGC Videsh has a significant presence in oil & gas sector in Colombia, with three other exploratory blocks in the country and joint ownership of the oil-producing company Mansarovar Energy Colombia Ltd (MECL).  

Oil discovery in a new play in the block with the well Urraca-1X, reiterates the technical and operational prowess of ONGC Videsh and adds one more feather in its cap toward the extensive Exploration and Drilling campaign in Colombia.