Government approves auction of telecom spectrum at reserve price $11.6 billion
The Union Cabinet has recently approved the plan to sell telecom spectrum in an auction to improve the nation's telecom quality and coverage of networks. The government has announced the sale of airwaves worth $11.6 billion at a reserve price.
New Delhi: A total of 10,523.1 MHz airwaves in eight bands -800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2300, 2500, 3300 MHz, and 26 GHz will be up for sale. However, the timeline has not been disclosed. The airwaves auction will include airwaves held by firms undergoing insolvency which will upgrade the government finances and will certainly assist in narrowing the budget deficit in the South Asian nation.
Additional airwaves will improve the quality of telecom services and widen the coverage for consumers.
Read Also : THDCIL conferred with prestigious 1st Prize for ‘Advancement in Green Mobility
This would integrate to help out major Indian wireless carriers as well like, Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, Bharati Airtel Ltd, and Vodafone Idea Ltd, to boost services in the nation with more than a billion phone users. The 5G services were launched in late 2022.Read Also : MECL Drills Past Remarkable Milestone, Surpasses 3 Lakh Meters of Exploratory Drilling
The recent auction is slightly mild as compared to the previous dealing in 2022 where the government had recorded Rs 1.5 trillion in output while selling 72,097.85 MHz units of spectrum and sold 5G airwaves for the first time. The government was expecting an average of Rs 10,000 crore from the upcoming spectrum auction. Meanwhile, the cabinet has also approved reserving an additional 5MHz spectrum in the 700 MHz band for the railways for the national rollout of Kavach, over the earlier assigned 5MHz for the automatic train protection system.Read Also : HPCL and Birmingham University join hands
News Must Read
- Cyber Frauds: Kotak Mahindra Employees arrested for opening 2,000 fraudulent accounts
- Grid India Wins Rs. 272.68 Cr NBCC E-Auction for 61,000 Sqft in Ayurvigyan Nagar
- M Shyamprasad Kamath will lead MRPL as MD
- SJVN CMD laid foundation stone of Office building at Dam Site of 210 MW Luhri Stage-1 HEP
- Paytm Payments Bank appoints Srinivasan Sridhar; Vijay Shekhar Sharma resigns
- Beautiful Images of Sudarshan Setu; Connecting Okha mainland and Beyt Dwarka island
- Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurates IndianOil’s PNG project
- SJVN Subsidiary inks Power Usage Agreement with JKPCL
- NTPC-REL First Solar Project begins operations
- If India succeeds, SDGs will succeed: Hardeep S Puri at UNGCNI National Convention