ICG rescues 182 pilgrims from grounded ferry near Kakdwip
The hovercrafts evacuated 182 pilgrims before guiding the boat with the remaining pilgrims to a safe destination.
West Bengal: In a swift operation, the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) rescued 182 pilgrims stranded on a grounded ferry off Kakdwip in West Bengal on January 16, 2024. Merchant Vessel ‘Swasthya Sathi’ was ferrying about 400 pilgrims from Ganga Sagar Mela at Sagar Island to Kakdwip when it ran aground due to extremely poor visibility.Read Also : BPCL Kochi Refinery emerge winners of NIPM Young Managers’ Contest 2024
After receiving a message from District Magistrate, South 24 Parganas in the wee hours, the operations team of the ICG swung into action immediately and dispatched two Air Cushion Vehicles (Hovercrafts) from Haldia and Sagar island to provide assistance. The hovercrafts evacuated 182 pilgrims before guiding the boat with the remaining pilgrims to a safe destination.Read Also : NTPC Wins 23rd Inter CPSU Cricket Tournament
To ensure the safety of people during the annual mela, the ICG had already deployed sea borne units at various strategic locations. A rapid lifesaving action team of divers, with a gemini boat, is positioned at the Mela site for any eventuality. In addition, an officer from ICG Ship Frazerganj is positioned at Sagar Island for coordination with the state administration and supervision of seafront safety aspects.
News Must Read
- NTPC-REL First Solar Project begins operations
- If India succeeds, SDGs will succeed: Hardeep S Puri at UNGCNI National Convention
- PM Narendra Modi to Inaugurate First Mile Connectivity Projects of SECL in Chhattisgarh Tomorrow
- Coal India's Two Subsidiaries Eye Stock Market Debut
- BEML Gets New Office in Pune, Maharashtra
- WCL's AB Incline underground mine will start again
- 33 Community Centres for Balangir; MCL will extend Support
- NPCC to Build New Kendriya Vidyalaya Schools in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Kerala
- NGEL Signs Land Lease Agreement with APIIC for Integrated Green Hydrogen Hub
- SCOPE to organize Workshops on ‘Public Procurement’ & ‘RTI’ in Shillong