PM Modi's First visit to Papua New Guinea
New Delhi: Prime Minister Sri Narendra Modi arrived at Port Moresby in the evening of 21 May 2023. In a special gesture, Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea, H.E. Mr James Marape received Prime Minister Modi at the airport. A salute of 19 guns and a Guard of honour were accorded to Prime Minister Modi.Read Also : Coal India signs JV Agreement with BHEL
This is the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Papua New Guinea. The visit underscores the close friendship of India with the Pacific Island countries.
On his visit he held a bilateral meeting with H.E. Mr. James Marape, Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea (PNG) on 22 May 2023 in Port Moresby, on the sidelines of the 3rd Summit of the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC).
He thanked Prime Minister Marape for the warm welcome and for co-hosting the 3rd FIPIC Summit. Both leaders took stock of their bilateral relations and discussed ways and means to further strengthen their partnership across various sectors, including trade & investment, health, capacity building & skill development and Information Technology. They also discussed issues related climate action and promoting people to people ties. Prime Minister reiterated India’s support and respect for the priorities and wishes of the Pacific Island nations.Read Also : NCL exceeds 125 million tonnes of coal production
They launched a translation of the Tamil classic ‘Thirukkural’ to Tok Pisin language of PNG. The translated book is co-authored by linguist Mrs. Subha Sasindran & Mr. Sasindran Muthuvel, Governor of West New Britain Province of Papua New Guinea. The book has a foreword by Prime Minister Marape.
Prime Minister Modi congratulated the authors and complimented them on their contribution towards preserving the tenets of Indian thought and culture in Papua New Guinea.Read Also : Coal India First Aid Competition 2024 ' concludes at WCL
News Must Read
- M Shyamprasad Kamath will lead MRPL as MD
- SJVN CMD laid foundation stone of Office building at Dam Site of 210 MW Luhri Stage-1 HEP
- Paytm Payments Bank appoints Srinivasan Sridhar; Vijay Shekhar Sharma resigns
- Beautiful Images of Sudarshan Setu; Connecting Okha mainland and Beyt Dwarka island
- Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurates IndianOil’s PNG project
- SJVN Subsidiary inks Power Usage Agreement with JKPCL
- NTPC-REL First Solar Project begins operations
- If India succeeds, SDGs will succeed: Hardeep S Puri at UNGCNI National Convention
- PM Narendra Modi to Inaugurate First Mile Connectivity Projects of SECL in Chhattisgarh Tomorrow
- Coal India's Two Subsidiaries Eye Stock Market Debut