PM Modi's First visit to Papua New Guinea
New Delhi: Prime Minister Sri Narendra Modi arrived at Port Moresby in the evening of 21 May 2023. In a special gesture, Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea, H.E. Mr James Marape received Prime Minister Modi at the airport. A salute of 19 guns and a Guard of honour were accorded to Prime Minister Modi.Read Also : Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw chaired meeting of Consultative Committee for Ministry of Railways
This is the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Papua New Guinea. The visit underscores the close friendship of India with the Pacific Island countries.
On his visit he held a bilateral meeting with H.E. Mr. James Marape, Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea (PNG) on 22 May 2023 in Port Moresby, on the sidelines of the 3rd Summit of the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC).
He thanked Prime Minister Marape for the warm welcome and for co-hosting the 3rd FIPIC Summit. Both leaders took stock of their bilateral relations and discussed ways and means to further strengthen their partnership across various sectors, including trade & investment, health, capacity building & skill development and Information Technology. They also discussed issues related climate action and promoting people to people ties. Prime Minister reiterated India’s support and respect for the priorities and wishes of the Pacific Island nations.Read Also : Shri P Upadhyay INAS takes over as Director General of Naval Armament
They launched a translation of the Tamil classic ‘Thirukkural’ to Tok Pisin language of PNG. The translated book is co-authored by linguist Mrs. Subha Sasindran & Mr. Sasindran Muthuvel, Governor of West New Britain Province of Papua New Guinea. The book has a foreword by Prime Minister Marape.
Prime Minister Modi congratulated the authors and complimented them on their contribution towards preserving the tenets of Indian thought and culture in Papua New Guinea.Read Also : Mr Vikraman N takes charge as Director (HR) of BEL
News Must Read
- PFC bids farewell to Shri R.S. Dhillon, CMD
- CIL increased non-coking coal prices by 8%; expects Rs 2703 Cr Revenue
- Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi reviewed NCL's performance
- NMDC delayed commissioning of its newly demerged steel plant
- Power ‘Mini Ratna’ NHPC reports Net Profit up by 8% of Rs 3834 cr during FY23
- Salim G. Purushothaman assumed additional charge of CMD, BCL
- Union Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi inaugurates 1st Mining Start Up Summit at IIT Bombay
- MOIL double its digit production target in FY’24; Reports 250.59 cr profit in FY23
- ISRO launches GSLV NVS-01 mission
- WAPCOS and NLCIL's strategic collaboration for various development projects