Railways roll out disability-friendly upgrades at 597 stations
According to the statement issued by railway officials, 1,287 escalators at 372 stations and 1,292 lifts at 497 stations were established in respective domains till December last year.
As per the part of the government’s ‘Sugamya Bharat Mission’ or ‘ Accessible India Campaign, as many as 597 railway stations, approximately, are now equipped with either escalators or lifts to make them accessible for persons with disabilities.
According to the statement issued by railway officials, 1,287 escalators at 372 stations and 1,292 lifts at 497 stations were established in respective domains till December last year. The Indian Railways is committed to making its railway stations and trains accessible for ‘divyangjans’ as part of the ‘Sugamya Bharat Mission’ or ‘Accessible India Campaign’.Read Also : THDCIL conferred with prestigious 1st Prize for ‘Advancement in Green Mobility
The provisional data provided by the railways shows that till December 2014, there were 143 escalators and 97 lifts available at across stations. Between 2014 and 2023, 1,144 escalators and 1,195 elevators were installed. During the calendar year 2023, 128 escalators and 227 lifts were provided.
Provisions of facilities for persons with Disabilities [Divyangjan] are to be provided at all stations over Indian Railways based on the needs of the travelling public and availability of funds. As per the revised policy guidelines of Indian Railways, Escalators are to be provided at railway stations having footfall of more than twenty-five thousand and at railway stations at state capital and millennium cities.
Read Also : MECL Drills Past Remarkable Milestone, Surpasses 3 Lakh Meters of Exploratory Drilling
Lifts are being provided depending upon the relative priority of various stations and the availability of resources and feasibility for the provision of lifts. To provide better accessibility to persons with Disabilities, Short Term Facilities and Long Term facilities have been planned at all stations, including erstwhile B category stations.Read Also : HPCL and Birmingham University join hands
News Must Read
- Cyber Frauds: Kotak Mahindra Employees arrested for opening 2,000 fraudulent accounts
- Grid India Wins Rs. 272.68 Cr NBCC E-Auction for 61,000 Sqft in Ayurvigyan Nagar
- M Shyamprasad Kamath will lead MRPL as MD
- SJVN CMD laid foundation stone of Office building at Dam Site of 210 MW Luhri Stage-1 HEP
- Paytm Payments Bank appoints Srinivasan Sridhar; Vijay Shekhar Sharma resigns
- Beautiful Images of Sudarshan Setu; Connecting Okha mainland and Beyt Dwarka island
- Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurates IndianOil’s PNG project
- SJVN Subsidiary inks Power Usage Agreement with JKPCL
- NTPC-REL First Solar Project begins operations
- If India succeeds, SDGs will succeed: Hardeep S Puri at UNGCNI National Convention