Indian government signs pact with ADB to tackle flood erosion risk in Brahmaputra river
The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank have signed a $200 million loan to foster flood-related erosion risk management along the 650km long mainstream of the Brahmaputra river in the state of Assam.
The project is estimated to be aligned with the ADB-financed Assam Integrated Flood and Riverbank Erosion Risk Management Investment Programme implemented during 2010-2020. The project is supposed to contribute to the broader stabilization of the Brahmaputra River in high-priority flood-and erosion-prone areas and build the state's disaster resilience.
Through the project, ADB continues to pursue its cost-effective, adaptive, and systematic river stabilization approach to managing the Brahmaputra River.
In addition to deploying riverbank protection technology, ADB will continue to build the capacity of state agencies and affected communities to better manage flood and riverbank erosion risks.Read Also : 48 Unemployed Gain Valuable Skills in NLCIL-NPTI CSR Initiative
The project interventions include stabilizing 60km of riverbanks, installing 32km of pro-siltation measures, and building 4km of climate-resilient flood embarkments in five high-priority districts [Dibrugarh, Goalpara, Kamrup Rural, Morigaon, and Tinsukia].
Further, it will advance the institutional capacity in flood forecasting and warning systems, modern surveys, erosion and embankment breach modeling, asset management, flood risk mapping, land use planning, and pilot nature-based solutions.
Read Also : NGEL Signs Land Lease Agreement with APIIC for Integrated Green Hydrogen Hub
The Flood and River Erosion Management Agency of Assam will lead, manage, and contribute to the coordination of the project activities. Meanwhile, the Brahmaputra Board, the Assam State Disaster Management Authority, and the Assam Inland Water Transport Development Society will be partner agencies.Read Also : ACWA Power and L&T Select Nextracker’s All-Terrain Solar Trackers for Al Kahfah Solar Park
News Must Read
- NGEL Signs Land Lease Agreement with APIIC for Integrated Green Hydrogen Hub
- SCOPE to organize Workshops on ‘Public Procurement’ & ‘RTI’ in Shillong
- Most awaited Gujarat's Signature Bridge: Read About its beauty
- NBCC to execute worth Rs 369 crore projects in UP, MP and Telangana
- CMD, IREDA Unveils Vision for Retail Division, Elevating Rooftop Solar
- PFC Forge Historic Partnership with Govt of Goa
- Government flows out Tender for Puri International Airport Construction
- Power Grid board approves Investment in two projects worth 655.75 crore
- SECL Makes History as First Coal Company to Procure Over Rs 10,000 Crore via GeM
- How RVNL's share takes boom today..