India all set to auction lithium blocks found in J&K this year
Vivek Bharadwaj, secretary of the Union Ministry of mines, on Tuesday stated that India will auction the lithium blocks found in Jammu and Kashmir later this year.
New Delhi: India's northern federal territory of Jammu and Kashmir is all set to auction a lithium block in December 2023, marking a significant milestone in the country's efforts to become self-sufficient in the production of lithium-ion batteries.
According to sources, Vivek Bharadwaj, secretary of the Union Ministry of mines, on Tuesday stated that India will auction the lithium blocks found in Jammu and Kashmir later this year.Read Also : ONGC Chairman along with Directors met Goa Chief Minister
He further said, “Have recommended transaction advisor to Jammu and Kashmir government for lithium reserves auction.”The discovery of significant lithium deposits in the Jammu and Kashmir region is expected to make India the fifth-largest global lithium reserve.
The auction is part of the government's plan to attract investors to the sector and boost domestic production of lithium-ion batteries, which are used in smartphones, smartwatches, laptops, and electric vehicles.Read Also : EIL, HRRL and L&T achieves another milestone
The lithium reserves were discovered last year, and the auction is expected to generate considerable interest from both local and international mining companies. However, concerns have been raised by the 10,000 villagers in Salal, where the lithium reserves were found, who fear displacement and the consequences of mining on the environment.
The government has assured residents that they will be relocated and compensated for their losses. Despite these concerns, the discovery of lithium in Jammu and Kashmir is a significant step towards India's goal of decreasing emissions and reaching net zero by 2070.Read Also : Road & Transport Ministry Maps Entire NHs to Remove Potholes
News Must Read
- EIL, HRRL and L&T achieves another milestone
- NLC India Signs Power Purchase Agreement with GRIDCO
- Coal Ministry, NTPC, and NML signs Deed of Adherence
- Yatish Kumar's first poetry collection 'Antas Ki Khurchan' received the 'Maithili Sharan Gupt Award'
- EIL signs MOU with Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Prime Minister dedicates projects worth more than Rs 5200 cr in Bodeli, Gujarat
- SJVN commenced Mechanical Spinning of 60 MW NMHEP
- Federal Bank Expands Its Footprint in Punjab, Inaugurates Branch in Rajpura
- ONGC signs Crude Oil Sales Agreement with Mangalore Refinery
- Indian Navy flagged off 'Khamree Mo Sikkim' Car rally