Sh. Kushvinder Vohra, Member (WP&P WING), CWC nominated as President of Indian Water Resources Society
IWRS is a society having headquarter at Roorkee (Department of Water Resources Development and Management, IIT, Roorkee) and its Executive office at Delhi. (Sewa Bhawan, Central Water Commission).
New Delhi: Sh. Kushvinder Vohra, Member (Water Planning & Projects), Central Water Commission & Ex-Officio Additional Secretary to Government of India, was nominated as President of Indian Water Resources Society (IWRS) for a period of 2023-2025, during its 37th Annual General Body meeting (AGM) and EC meeting of IWRS held on 13-08-2022 at Major Dhyan Chand Stadium, New Delhi.
IWRS is a society having headquarter at Roorkee (Department of Water Resources Development and Management, IIT, Roorkee) and its Executive office at Delhi. (Sewa Bhawan, Central Water Commission). Presently, IWRS have 7927 life members and 479 individuals are having life fellowship. Further, 31 institutions have been granted life membership of IWRS as well.
IWRS have been established in 1980s with following aim and objective:
• The advancement of research, planning development, management, education and training as well as establishment of a common meeting group for physical, biological and social scientists, engineers and other persons, concerned with water resources.
• To undertake research, planning, development, education and training in the field of conservation, management and optimal use of water.
• To provide a focal point for the collection, organization and dissemination of ideas and information relating to the broad spectrum of water problems.
• To honor individuals for their pioneering and meritorious contribution in the field of water resources, by electing them as Honorary Life Members or inviting them to be the Patrons of the Society.
• To deliberate, decide and express its views on various socio-economic,-political and policy issues regarding water resources development, utilization, conservation and management and work towards resolving them for the benefit of society.
IWRS also consist of Local Centers and Student Chapters. The Local Centers/Students chapters are established at places having at least 50 life members of the Society. Presently, there are 41 Local Centers spread all across the country and 690 students under Students chapter.
The Executive Committee (EC) headed by President is responsible for overall management of the Society. The President is selected from personals with outstanding contribution to Water Resources Development, Management and Education.