Prime Minister Modi applauds INS Vikrant for successfully berthing for the first time
India's first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant successfully berthed for the first time. Built under Indian Navy's Project Sea Bird,
New Delhi: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has praised INS Vikrant for successfully berthing for the first time at the newly constructed Aircraft Carrier pier, at Karwar.
In response to a tweet by Indian Navy, Prime Minister tweeted :
India's first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant successfully berthed for the first time. Built under Indian Navy's Project Sea Bird, this is a landmark in enhancing ship-berthing capacity, Karnataka Naval Area, Karwar Base.Read Also : Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw chaired meeting of Consultative Committee for Ministry of Railways
About INS Vikrant
INS Vikrant (IAC-1) is a Majestic-class aircraft carrier that was designed and built at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) in Kochi, India. The keel of the vessel was laid down in February 2009, and it was launched in August 2013.
The carrier underwent extensive sea trials and tests before being commissioned into the Indian Navy on 29 February 2023.Read Also : Shri P Upadhyay INAS takes over as Director General of Naval Armament
The INS Vikrant has a displacement of around 40,000 tons and measures about 262 meters (860 feet) in length. It has a complement of approximately 1,500 personnel, including the ship's crew and air wing. The carrier is capable of operating a mix of fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.
It represents a significant milestone for India's indigenous defence capabilities and the country's aim to become self-reliant in defence production.Read Also : Mr Vikraman N takes charge as Director (HR) of BEL
News Must Read
- PFC bids farewell to Shri R.S. Dhillon, CMD
- CIL increased non-coking coal prices by 8%; expects Rs 2703 Cr Revenue
- Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi reviewed NCL's performance
- NMDC delayed commissioning of its newly demerged steel plant
- Power ‘Mini Ratna’ NHPC reports Net Profit up by 8% of Rs 3834 cr during FY23
- Salim G. Purushothaman assumed additional charge of CMD, BCL
- Union Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi inaugurates 1st Mining Start Up Summit at IIT Bombay
- MOIL double its digit production target in FY’24; Reports 250.59 cr profit in FY23
- ISRO launches GSLV NVS-01 mission
- WAPCOS and NLCIL's strategic collaboration for various development projects