Coal Based Power Generation Surges 10% in India
The Domestic coal-based power generation during Apr-Dec’23 reached 872 Billion Units (BU), reflecting an increase of 7.14% from the 813.9 Billion Units (BU) generated in the corresponding period of last year.
New Delhi: Coal-based power generation in the country witnessed a remarkable growth of around 10.13% during Apr-Dec’23, as compared to the corresponding period of the previous year while overall power generation grew 6.71% during the same period.
The Domestic coal-based power generation during Apr-Dec’23 reached 872 Billion Units (BU), reflecting an increase of 7.14% from the 813.9 Billion Units (BU) generated in the corresponding period of last year. This reflects an ample coal supply to meet the growing energy demand in the country.
Coal import for blending has decreased substantially by 40.66% to 17.08 MT during Apr-Dec’23 from 28.78 MT in the corresponding period of previous year, despite the escalating power demand. It showcases the nation’s commitment to self-reliance in coal production and minimizing overall coal imports.Read Also : THDCIL conferred with prestigious 1st Prize for ‘Advancement in Green Mobility
In India, power is generated from conventional (Thermal, Nuclear & Hydro) and renewable sources (Wind, Solar, Biomass etc.). However, Major source of power generation is coal, which is more than 70% of the total power generation.Read Also : MECL Drills Past Remarkable Milestone, Surpasses 3 Lakh Meters of Exploratory Drilling
Coal-based power generation in India has played a significant role in meeting the country's energy demands. India is currently experiencing a substantial increase in power demand, driven by a combination of factors like industrial growth, technological advancements, population growth, economic development etc.
The government persists in its efforts to further enhance coal production, aiming to increase availability and reduce dependence on imported coal, thereby safeguarding foreign reserves.Read Also : HPCL and Birmingham University join hands
News Must Read
- Cyber Frauds: Kotak Mahindra Employees arrested for opening 2,000 fraudulent accounts
- Grid India Wins Rs. 272.68 Cr NBCC E-Auction for 61,000 Sqft in Ayurvigyan Nagar
- M Shyamprasad Kamath will lead MRPL as MD
- SJVN CMD laid foundation stone of Office building at Dam Site of 210 MW Luhri Stage-1 HEP
- Paytm Payments Bank appoints Srinivasan Sridhar; Vijay Shekhar Sharma resigns
- Beautiful Images of Sudarshan Setu; Connecting Okha mainland and Beyt Dwarka island
- Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurates IndianOil’s PNG project
- SJVN Subsidiary inks Power Usage Agreement with JKPCL
- NTPC-REL First Solar Project begins operations
- If India succeeds, SDGs will succeed: Hardeep S Puri at UNGCNI National Convention